I want to thank Jessica Khoury very much for accepting to answer some of my questions!
If you did not find out until now, she is the author of Origin. You can find out more about her and her book by reading the interview bellow!!
I really support young authors like Jessica and feel really astonished with what they’ve acomplished!
1. S: Hi, Jessica! Thank you very much for wanting to take part of this interview! Please make a litle description of yourself so readers can know you better! You can let them know anything you would like.
Jessica: Thanks so much for this interview, Simona! Well, I’m 22 years old, I live in a small town in Georgia, USA, and Origin is my first published novel. I’ve wanted to be an author since I was 4 years old, so this is the realization of a life-long dream for me. Besides writing, I enjoy playing soccer, directing theater, and hiking in the woods.
2. S: Your book “Origin” has already been published. Did everything go according to your initial plan?
Jessica: Origin’s publication exceeded any plan I might have had! I never dreamed that it would get picked up by such an amazing publisher as Penguin, or that it would be optioned for a movie. It has been so amazing and I am still trying to believe it is all real!
3. S: Your book seems to be a breath of fresh air compared to all the books that have recently been published.What is it about? I am sure that the readers are curious!
Jessica: Origin is about Pia, a 17-year-old girl who has been genetically engineered to be immortal. She lives in a secret lab hidden in the Amazon jungle with a bunch of scientists. On her 17th birthday, she sneaks out for the first time and meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. She and Eio begin to discover the secrets of how Pia was created—and a terrible truth that will change her forever.
Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia’s origin–a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.
Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost.
4. S: When did the plot of this book come to your mind?
Jessica: I got the idea for Origin as I was out taking a walk in the summer of 2011. The entire story came into my mind all at once, and I ran home and began writing the first chapter immediately, before I forgot any of it.
5. S: The cover of the book looks really awesome! Was this the first choice or have you been changing your mind about it?
Jessica: This is the first cover that the artists at Penguin designed, and we all loved it so much that we decided to go with it right away. I wish I could say I thought of it, but no—all the credit must go to Greg Stadnyk, the brilliant designer behind the cover!
6. S: What is your favourite character from your book? Or maybe you have more than a fave ;D.
Jessica: They’re all my favorite in their own way, but I had the most fun writing about Alai, Pia’s pet jaguar! I also really like Harriet, the new scientist who at first clashes with Pia, but then becomes her friend. She’s very sassy and confident, and I’d love to hang out with her for real!
7. S: I have seen the trailer of your book and I find it really amazing. I have just looked at the cover of “Origin” and the trailer and I already have a really good feeling about your work. What would you think if your book would become a movie someday?
Jessica: Of course that would be incredible!! I would probably cry the entire time I watched it, and therefore not actually see any of it, but I can’t imagine how thrilling it would be to see my story on the big screen!
8. S: What songs do you feel that fit the story? Anything special that you had been listening to while writing the book? *except for the song that is in the book trailer and is so amazing!*
Jessica: I listened to a lot of rainforest soundtracks while writing Origin, to get in the “rainforest mood.” I also listened to a lot of Katie Melua, whose music is so atmospheric and emotional that it inspired a lot of the moods in Origin.
9. S: What is your top 5 books/ book series that you love? You can make it a top 10 if you can’t decide.
Jessica: Oh, so many! I really love the Tomorrow series by John Marsden, The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold, Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card, the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke, and everything by Lloyd Alexander.
10. S: What do you think about Romania, the country I live in? Would you like to visit it one day?
Jessica: I would love love LOVE to visit Romania! I’ve never been to eastern Europe, but I hope to go one day and Romania is at the top of my list! I love how passionate you guys are about books and reading!
11. S: Thank you very much for taking the time and answer all the questions! Would you like to tell something to the readers of this blog? Anything that comes to your mind!
Jessica: Thank you so much for reading! You guys rock! And remember—as amazing and captivating as books are, it’s important to get out and live an amazing life as well. Live a life worth reading about! =)